A Career in Texas
There is a lot of upside for Australians who relocate to the United States for their career. Besides the quality of life in the US and our other reasons (Why Texas?), Rand Group has specifically identified some reasons Australia citizens might want to consider making the big move to the state of Texas! For one, Texas is one of only 7 states in which there is no personal income tax. Add that to the fact that people in a professional position on average earn more in the United States than they do in Australia, and the price of our consumer goods is on average lower, and it’s easy to see why making a move might be in your favor.
*Info Source: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States
US Work Visas for Australian Citizens
There are several types of Visa you can obtain to work in the United States if you’re an Australian citizen. The one that works best for you and your employment intentions when in the United States will be best decided by a legal team with direct understanding of your current situation. For information purposes, we’ve compiled the following:
- The H-1B Non-Immigrant Work Visa may be issued to Australian citizens seeking temporary work in a “specialty occupation,” which requires the skills of a professional. What is “specialty occupation”? Generally speaking, they are occupations that require at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, such as accountants, computer analysts, web programmers, web designers, engineers or financial analysts. However, relevant experience may be considered in lieu of such education requirement in some cases. H-1B visas can be issued for either full-time or part-time employment.
- One of the most popular, and most sought after work visas
- May be issued to Australians seeking temporary work in a ‘specialty occupation’
- Specialty occupation requires the skills of a professional
- Generally require a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Includes: accountants, computer analysts, web programmers, web designers, engineers or financial analysts
- Can be issued for full-time or part-time work
- Valid for 3 years, and can be extended for up to 6 years
- The H-2B is a non-immigrant visa that applies to foreign workers who are not working in the agricultural field. The visa is for employers who have a temporary need for the foreign employee that is intermittent, recurring, peak-load or a one-time occurrence. The H-2B visa is valid for one year or less, though it can be renewed for up to three years.
- Valid for 1 year, can be extended up to 3 years
- The E-3 visa is similar in many respects to the H-1B visa. Important differences include the fact that spouses of E-3 visa holders may work in the United States without restrictions (unlike other US non-immigrant visas, even the TN visa issued to Canadian and Mexican citizens), even if they are of a different nationality, that the E-3 visa is renewable indefinitely (in two-year increments) and that the application process is much quicker. Australian citizens applying for an E-3 visa are also no longer subject to the 65,000 annual visa limit for H-1B visas; although there is a separate annual quota of 10,500 E-3 visas, this is believed to be much more generous to Australians than requiring them to compete with all other nations for H-1B visas. (One calculation is that the E-3 guarantees Australians 15% of the combined annual total of US visas for persons in specialty occupations, should they want such visas, even though with a population of approximately 23.4 million Australia accounts for only 0.3% of the world’s non-US population.) Visas issued to spouses and children are not included in the E3 quota and spouses and children do not need to be Australian citizens.
- Valid for 2 years, can be extended indefinitely
There are several types of Visas you could be eligible for, and Rand Group has the resources to help you determine which one is best for you at the time of an employment offer. If the opportunity to work at Rand Group interests you, we highly encourage you to review all our currently open positions. We’re always interested in hearing from exceptional individuals.
ERP Jobs in USA for Australian Citizens:
– Software Delivered as Promised. No Surprises.