A Career In Texas
We love Texas and we think you will too; besides the quality of life in the US and all our other reasons Why Texas?, Texas is one of only 7 states where there is no personal income tax. Add that to the fact that the price of our consumer goods is on average lower than other parts of the US and the world, and it’s easy to see why making a move might be in your favor.
US Work Visas for Canadian Citizens
There are several types of Visa you can obtain to work in the United States if you’re a Canadian citizen. The one that works best for you and your employment intentions when in the United States will be best decided by a legal team with direct understanding of your current situation. For information purposes, we’ve compiled the following:
- The H-1B Non-Immigrant Work Visa may be issued to Canadian citizens seeking temporary work in a “specialty occupation,” which requires the skills of a professional. What is “specialty occupation”? Generally speaking, they are occupations that require at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, such as accountants, computer analysts, web programmers, web designers, engineers or financial analysts. However, relevant experience may be considered in lieu of such education requirement in some cases. H-1B visas can be issued for either full-time or part-time employment.
- One of the most popular, and most sought after work visas
- May be issued to Canadians seeking temporary work in a ‘specialty occupation’
- Specialty occupation requires the skills of a professional
- Generally require a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Includes: accountants, computer analysts, web programmers, web designers, engineers or financial analysts
- Can be issued for full-time or part-time work
- Valid for 3 years, and can be extended for up to 6 years
- The H-2B is a non-immigrant visa that applies to foreign workers who are not working in the agricultural field. The visa is for employers who have a temporary need for the foreign employee that is intermittent, recurring, peak-load or a one-time occurrence. The H-2B visa is valid for one year or less, though it can be renewed for up to three years.
- Valid for 1 year, can be extended up to 3 years
- TN Visas are the easiest Visa for a Canadian to get
- The TN visa was created under the North American Free Trade Agreement between Canada, U.S. and Mexico. Under this visa, a Canadian citizen may work in a professional occupation in the U.S. if:
- He/she qualifies under the “Professionals Under the North American Free Trade Agreement” list;
- The Canadian citizen possesses the specific criteria for that profession;
- The employment position in the U.S. requires someone in that professional capacity and
- The Canadian citizen is going to work for a U.S. employer.
- Valid for 3 years, and can be extended indefinitely as long as purpose of work is temporary
- The L visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer a manager or an executive from an affiliated Canadian office to one of its U.S. offices. The employer must be doing business in the U.S. and it must have an existing relationship with the Canadian company (such as being a parent company, affiliate, subsidiary etc.). Furthermore, the employee must have been working for the affiliated employer in Canada for at least one continuous year within the three years prior to being issued an L visa, and he/she must be going to the U.S. to render services as a manager/executive.
- Employees will be granted an initial three-year L visa.
- Valid from 3 months up to 7 years with extensions, based on a reciprocity schedule
All Visa information was taken from Canadians in U.S.A. – for more information on Visas and living and working in the United States, visit: http://www.canadiansinusa.com/Working-in-the-US/index.html
There are several types of Visas you could be eligible for, and Rand Group has the resources to help you determine which one is best for you at the time of an employment offer.
If the opportunity to work at Rand Group interests you, we highly encourage you to review all our currently open positions. We’re always interested in hearing from exceptional individuals.
ERP Jobs in USA for Canadian Citizens:
– Software Delivered as Promised. No Surprises.