August 2011 Construction & Real Estate Newsletter
Rand Group thanks you for subscribing to our Construction and Real Estate Newsletter. We hope you find the information useful and informative.
FREE Upcoming Webinars from Rand Group
We offer FREE webinars to help you maximize your investment and increase your knowledge to solve daily business challenges.
Be on the look out for our September Newsletter for our FALL 2011 Webinars registration information. We will explore the most common reasons clients engage Rand Group to review their Timberline Software and help then address their business issues.
If you answer “YES” to any of the questions below, you may consider attending our webinar on our Sage Timberline Assessment Program.
- Are you the new Accounting Manager or Controller for your company?
- Do you want to track additional information in Timberline, but are not sure if it is possible?
- Do you have tons of Timberline data in your system?
- Are your reports running super slow?
- Has your business model changed and now Timberline doesn’t seem to fit?
If you have any questions or suggestions for future webinar topics, please send them to email@example.com.
Can These New Technologies Help You Cut Expenses and Improve Efficiency?
Contractors everywhere are looking for new and better ways to save cash, streamline business processes, and stay ahead of the competition. Here is a look at three new-and different- technologies that are capturing the attention of the construction industry:
- Buy or sell surplus materials online. Rather than throwing away unused and leftover job materials, why not sell them online and recoup some of the costs? If you need some materials for a job, why pay full price? Zamray.com is a new web site that helps link contractors and buyers so that extra items are no longer simply discarded. The Engineering News Record reports that the site had more than 22,000 visitors in its first six months of operation. With rising materials costs, tighter budgets, and greater sustainability efforts, Zamray offers contractors a way to save money. Plus, the U.S. Green Building Council has even approved the site for up to four LEED points.
- Leverage technology to improve communication. Miscommunication causes building errors, delays, and even revenue losses for contractors every day. Improving worker communication can be the key to a successful project and larger profits. Building Online reports that a new mobile app is now available that can help contractors broadcast information throughout jobsites. Managers can use CrewBlast to instantly reach all members of a crew with one click including employees and subcontractors. These text messages may include information like safety alerts, operational updates, scheduling, or weather issues and resources or equipment coordination.
- Learn about new building materials. In order to stay competitive, it is important to build your knowledge. New construction materials are frequently introduced to the market and codes are changing to promote sustainability. In an article on DCD,A study by the Multi-hazard Mitigation Council (MMC) for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) found that every $1 spent on loss prevention saves society (individuals, states and communities) an average of $4 in future reduced losses (Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety). These and other sustainability factors are more important than ever. For example, if you live in a region that is known for a lot of rain, find out how new moisture-resistant fiberglass-mat gypsum panels can help you build a better structure to withstand weather conditions. Make sure you stay on top of rapidly changing technologies so you can keep your margins high and your order book full.
TUG National Users Conference 2012
Save the Date!
Mark your calendars for the 2012 TUG National Users Conference & Workshops. Full conference details are coming soon to the home page of the TUG Website.
May 15-18, 2012
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center(br) Kissimmee, Florida (Orlando area)
August Tips and Tricks
Experiencing issues simiilar to the items below? Check out the solutions. If your problem persists, contact us at 866.714.8615 to assist you!
Issue #1: How to Set Up Contracts and Contract Items
Note: Two types of contracts exist. Active contracts are customer contracts to be billed. Standard contracts are templates for setting up future Active contracts.
To set up a contract without taxes, complete the following steps:
- In the Contracts application, from the File menu, select New.
- Select the type of contract being set up: Active (customer) or Standard (template).
- Type the ID of the new contract and click [OK].
- Complete or change the applicable information on the contract tabs as needed. If you don’t normally set up contracts, you can review setup of other completed contracts in your company folder to help identify how your company uses the available options.
- Select the appropriate status for the contract. You can approve the entire contract and all the items simultaneously, or approve the contract but approve the contract items individually.
- The contract status on the contract General tab allows you to track the development of a contract from its proposal through completion. You can change the status of a contract from any setting to any other setting, if you are authorized to do so.
- A contract must have an Approved status before an invoice can be generated in the Billing application. This applies to both contract-based and cost-based invoicing.
- If you are using task security, a contract must be released before it can be approved. If you are authorized to both release and approve contracts, the contract is automatically released when you change the status to Approved.
To set up a contract item without taxes, complete the following steps:
- In Contracts, from the File menu, select Open Contract.
- Select the contract you need to add the contract item to and click [OK]. If there are existing contract items, select a contract item that closely matches your new contract item.
- From the Edit menu, select Add Contract Item.
- Enter the new contract item ID and then click [OK].
- Enter or change all pertinent information on the various tabs of the new contract item. Review setup of other completed contracts in your company folder for item formatting.
- If you do not want to approve the contract item at this time, close the contract. Your information is saved.
- To approve the contract, first confirm the following:
- Verify contract amounts are entered on the Contract tab.
- Verify the job (and extra, if used) are linked on the General tab, if appropriate.
- If Accounts Receivable is set to tracking taxes in AR Settings, a Tax Group must be selected on the Tax tab.
- After setup of the item is complete, on the General tab, move the Status slider to Approved, and then close the contract.
- In the warning message, click [YES].
- Click [Start].
Issue #2: How to Change The Retainage Amount on a Retainage-only Invoice
Do you know that you can change the retainage amount on a retainage-only invoice if you want to partially pay it? If nothing has been paid on the invoice, you can use the following steps to partially pay the invoice.
This information is available in the Sage Knowledgebase by searching KB143022.
Follow the steps below to make a partial payment of a retainage-only invoice by reducing the retainage amount in Change Invoices.
Note: To make multiple partial payments of a retainage only invoice, or for other options to partially pay retainage invoices, log on to the Sage Knowledgebase and search on KB42972.
- In Accounts Payable, from the Tasks menu, select Change Invoices.
- Enter the vendor and invoice number.
- Press TAB through the columns on the invoice grid until the distribution grid appears.
Tip: If this invoice has an accounting date in a closed period that you do not want to post to, log on to the Sage Knowledgebase and search on KB120977 for more information.
- In the Retainage column, reduce the amount of the retainage by the amount you want to pay. For example, if you have $100 invoice and want to pay $40 now, change the retainage amount to $60.
- Click [Accept dist], click [Accept invoice], and then click [Finish].
- Click [Start] to print your journal to a file or printer.
- Select and pay this invoice as usual.
Issue #3: Do I need to remove NETBEUI before installing or upgrading my Sage Timberline Office Products?
Solution: NETBEUI is not compatible with Sage Timberline Office Products
The NETBEUI network protocol is not compatible with the Sage Timberline Office Pervasive database engine. If you currently use NETBEUI without other network protocols, you must add the Microsoft TCP/IP network protocols to install or upgrade Sage Timberline Office Products.
Issue #4: What versions of Sage Timberline Office are compatible with BuilderMT and Workflow Management Suite?
Solution: BuilderMT compatibility with Sage Timberline Office
Builder MB WMS 4/7/2 is compatible with Sage Timberline Office 9.6.
BuilderMT WMS 4.6.x is compatible with the Sage Timberline Office 9.5.0 Update 2.
The following is a list of compatible versions of Sage Timberline Office and BuilderMT:
- Sage Timberline Accounting CD versions 8.x, 9.1.3, 9.2.0, 9.2.1, 9.3.0, 9.4.x, 9.5.0 Update 2
- Sage Timberline Estimating CD versions 6.7, 7.1.3, 9.2.0, 9.2.1, 9.3.0, 9.4.x
The following is a list of compatible versions of Sage Timberline Office and Workflow Management Suite:
- Sage Timberline Accounting CD version 9.5.0 Update 2 is compatible with Workflow Management Suite 4.6.x.
- Sage Timberline Accounting CD version 9.4.x is compatible with Workflow Management Suite 4.5.x.
- Sage Timberline Estimating CD version 9.4.0 is compatible with Workflow Management Suite 4.2.x.
- Sage Timberline Estimating CD version 9.4.0 and 9.4.1 are compatible with Workflow Management Suite 4.5.x.
Note: Do not upgrade to version 9.2.0, 9.2.1 or 9.3.0 unless running Workflow Management Suite 4.x or later.
Workflow Management Suite 3.1 is not compatible with version 9.2.x, 9.3.0 or 9.4.x of Sage Timberline Office.
Sage Upcoming Promotions
Sage 0% Pay-As-You-Grow Financing Offer for New Clients – For a limited time, you can get the Sage Timberline Office applications and user licenses you need to grow and preserve your cash for emergencies or other opportunities with Pay-As-You-Grow!
Get the technology your business needs and the flexibility and affordability you deserve with our Pay-As-You-Grow 24 month, 0% interest financing offer. There’s never been a better time to increase efficiency, maintain your competitive edge, AND keep your cash flow and budgets on target. Offer Expires September 23, 2011.
Save Up To 20% On All Modules & Seats! – The more productive your team, the more profitable your business. And nothing maximizes your team’s efficiency better than supplying them with the functionality they need to do their jobs faster and more effectively!
- 10% discount when you purchase 2
- 15% discount when you purchase 3
- 20% discount when you purchase 4 or more
Discount only applies to additional Sage Timberline Office applications and user licenses. Third party and/or off-schedule applications are not included in this offer. Clients must be on an active support plan at time of purchase. Offer Expires September 30, 2011.
Sage Training End of Summer Savings! – Take $100 off any one Realtime, Anytime, or Replay training purchased by August 31, 2011.
Continual learning is one of the best ways to improve your staff’s performance. And improving your staff’s performance is one of the best ways to improve your business. So enroll yourself or your staff in Sage Timberline Office training. Enter Promo Code CRESUM090111 when you log on to Sage University. Then click Product Training. For additional offer details, contact us today!
Sage CRE Forms – Have you ordered your checks and envelopes from Sage CRE Forms? Save 40% on your initial order of check and envelopes!
Use Promo Code: CP2011. Offer Expires September 03, 2011. Order Today!
Please contact Kerrie Schupp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866.714.8422 for full promotion details and quotes.
Sage Timberline Office – 2011 Fall Release
Sage is excited to announce the Fall 2011 release of Sage Timberline Office.
It?s all about getting your business management software to work harder for you. The key is quicker and easier access to the information you need, so you can make better, well-informed decisions, reduce risk, and improve your bottom line.
Here’s a brief preview of just some of the improvements to expect:
- Credit card management (Provides ability to enter and distribute credit card receipts as well as reconcile credit card statements)
- Workforce management (Over 70 customizable HR forms, prefilled from Payroll, to help new hire, probation and termination documentation requirements)
Performance improvements so you can save time and be more efficient. Some of the areas improved will be:
- Application and Task startup (across the suite)
- Closing Report and Inquiry Manager
- Field Reporting in Project Management
- Security administration and workstation installation
Usability developments in the following:
- Live support chat link
- Integration between Estimating, Project Management and Job Cost
- Server migration wizard
- Change Request security (when updating an estimate)
- Auto-file and page reduction of journals
- Persisting inquiry file types
– Software Delivered as Promised. No Surprises.